Friday, September 18, 2009

Brownie Points

As a rule I believe that something made from scratch will always be better than something made with a mix, but I have not had much success when it comes to brownies. Even when I've tried recipes like "Mother's Perfect-Absolutely-Every-Single-Time Brownies" and "To-Die-For-There-Is-Something-Wrong-With-Your-Head-If-You-Can't-Get-These-Right Brownies", the results have been disappointing. But after eating a friend's brownies and realizing that they were exactly what I love about brownies - gooey but not too gooey and just the right crispiness on top - and they were perfect every time, I asked if she would share her recipe. She put me off the first time but when I asked again she told me her secret, and now it's my secret, and I'm sharing: Hurray for Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix! If you want to dress them up a little bit just sprinkle powdered sugar on top; if you really want to get fancy spread some chocolate chips on them when they come out of the oven and then spread like frosting after they've had a few minutes to melt. (Thanks Debbie D. ~ hope you won't hold this against me!)

I've decided to award Brownie Points when someone or something unexpected happens that involves chocolate!

Today's Brownie Points go to:
  • Danica for the absolutely yummy chocolate cake she made for her sister's surprise birthday brunch ~
  • Ron for bringing mi esposo TWO packages of alfajors from Argentina, and mi esposo for sharing ~
  • Irma for giving me a huge candy bar just because I did a simple, menial task for her ~
  • Nutella, which I try not to have in my house because I will eat the entire jar with a spoon in less than a week, but which I had to buy because it was cheaper to buy 2, and I had to give one to a friend who had never heard of it before ~
  • My $5 roses that looked so beautiful today, and everyone knows that chocolate and roses are perfect together even if you buy yourself the chocolate and the roses!


Sampling of today's chocolate collection

Argentine Alfajor (extra Brownie Points for the beautiful packaging!)

A thing of beauty is a joy forever!


1 comment:

  1. Mom- you are so funny- and a total chocolatholic!
    I saw some Nutella at the grocery store yesterday day...honed in on it, and last min (literally as I was reaching for it), turned and moved away as fast as possible. I was letting my inner love for chocolate control me, and I knew my fate would be so similar to yours- and maybe even less than a week, because I haven't had it for quite some time. Oh Nutella, you somehow control the best of us! Don't tell Ben about your brownie recipe...he LOVE brownies the most (and Elaine Stoddards lemon bars). We have to keep brownies to a minimal in this household bc they would get eaten up if we didn't.
    I also was about to faint while in clinic bc I was so hungry. A classmate slipped me a small piece of dark chocolate. Bless her heart! It saved my day. She deserves a brownie point.
    ***ramblings! that's what chocolate can do to you!!!***

    ReplyDelete